Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Baby Names

Don't get to excited, we won't be spilling the beans here!!  You'll have to wait until Siby's big delivery date.  

The Social Security Administration always releases the top 1000 baby name list in May of each year based on previous year data.  We had already come up with a list of potential names for Evelina before the 2009 list was released, but this year we get to take a look at the new list well before finalizing name options.  

All we know is that we will not be naming Siby one of the top 10 names from 2011.  They haven't released any state-level data for 2011 yet, but the top 10 from Massachusetts 2010 list will not be contenders either.  Don't get me wrong, I really like some of the names.  Sophia/Sophie and Olivia would be beautiful with the last name of Ciano, and Chris likes the name Benjamin.  I guess maybe, since I'm a Sarah and went to school with about 100 Sarah's, I want our children's names to be a tad more unique. 
Did anyone catch this NPR article earlier this week?  Pretty interesting theory, but I'm not sure how much truth there is to it.
 
Just for fun, Evelina didn't make the top 1000, as we would have suspected, but similar names are on the list:  
  • Evelyn - #24.  #54 in 2010 for Massachusetts
  • Eve - #546
  • Evie - #644.  Evelina's teachers were calling her this as a nickname for awhile, but I put the kabosh on it.  They were pronoucing it EV, which I really do not like.  Eh-vie would have been nicer at least. 
  • Eva - #83
  • Lina - #857

1 comment:

  1. Aw, William is #3 on both lists... but it's a family name ;-)

    ReplyDelete