Pages

Monday, June 27, 2011

Feeding a 1+ Year Old

I'll admit that I’m a little obsessed when it comes to feeding Evelina. I only want the best for her and that includes what gets put into her body. Exclusively-pumping when she wouldn’t breast feed to ensure she would get breast milk for as long as I could keep up the pumping routine, offering her organic formula, making the majority of her baby food (or offering her organic food from pouches…I’m also organic-obsessed), etc. I have spent A LOT of time feeding her and researching what’s best. Both Chris and I feel good knowing that up until this point, she has had a healthy diet, in addition to being exposed to many different foods, even if they may not always be her favorite.

Now that Evelina is almost 13 months, formula/milk is no longer her primary source of nutrients. For me, this means that I must monitor Evelina’s intake to ensure she is eating a balanced diet that is full of vitamins and minerals to keep her growing healthy and strong. I’ve been using this portion chart and really like it. I already know she eats more than enough fruit but most likely not enough veggies. So, I have been looking for recipes that incorporate veggies, that I could offer her at breakfast and during snack time, in lieu of just putting pieces of veggies on her plate (she gets tired of this method as can be witnessed by her throwing everything on the floor and watching me pick it up).

This weekend I whipped up a loaf of Deceptively Delicious Banana Bread, adding some cauliflower puree to the mix. Evelina and Chris both approved.  Especially when it was warm with melted butter. 

Next up will be some sweet potato pancakes for breakfast and maybe a frittata with some mixed veggies. The best part about these recipes is they aren’t only for kids. Big kids, like Chris and I can eat them too!! This is a bonus, considering Evelina will eat most of what we prepare for ourselves. 

Oh, and I’m not naïve…I know she is a toddler and toddler’s like to rebel when it comes to food. But, if I can offer her healthy options, then I’m doing the best that I can as a mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment