Pages

Friday, June 17, 2011

12 Month Stats

Today was Evelina's 12 month well-baby visit. 

In terms of development, she is on track with all of her milestones...even if she isn't walking yet or saying 5 words.  EVERYONE asks me if she is walking and I just want to tell people that not all babies walk by the time they are 1 year old, and even though she isn't walking, she is still normal.  There is a huge range or "normal" at this age.  With the exception of arriving into the world, Evelina has taken her sweet time in meeting all milestones.  Perhaps she is a perfectionist like her Mama?  Either way, she is very healthy and her pediatrician thinks she may be on the more adventuresome side based on the 20 minutes she was crawling, cruising and exploring the exam room.  Not sure if I agree, but only time will tell.  He thinks she will be walking sooner rather than later but he also thought she would be rolling in both directions soon after her 4 month appointment and that took her another 1-3 months!! Ha!!  

Even after these reassuring well-baby visits, I still tend to worry about Evelina meeting or exceeding developmental milestones.  I know this will always be something that concerns me as she continues to grow and learn.  It is natural for parents to want their children to be intelligent and to succeed in everything they do, even if that means putting a square block into the square slot of the shape sorter.  I'm so proud of everything that Evelina has accomplished.  I don't need her to be advanced or a prodigy.  I just want her to explore the world and learn something new everyday. 

At the end of the appointment she had blood taken with a smile on (literally) via a finger prick  and only 2 shots, which of course were preceded by the delayed, I won't breathe for 20 seconds, cry.  Do you know what the best treat for a toddler who just got shots is?  A band-aid to suck on from the finger that was just pricked.  Ick. 


Evelina's Stats...

Weight: 20lbs 2oz (35th %ile) - Our little girl is no longer a peanut.  She is catching up to her "peers".  To think she started out at 5lbs 13oz (7th %ile) and got as low as 5lbs 4oz (2.5 %ile), and now she is over 20lbs.  So crazy!!  WOOHOO Evelina!!  Her pediatrician was impressed at how much she grew and that her growth curve is still trending upward.  Most babies have started to plateau by this point but our little Miss Evelina had some ground to make up. 

Length: 30" (80th %ile). She has grown one foot exactly since birth.  No wonder she is in some 18 month clothes.  

Head Circumference: 18" (70th %ile) - Only grew 1/2" since her 9 month visit. 

Next appointment is at 15 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment