Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Hallelujah!!

The turmoil of month 6, weaning from the binkie and swaddle, followed by wonder week 26, two teeth and a cold, have passed.  Man was it a tough 4ish weeks in the sleep department.  Lina has always been a good -- borderline great -- sleeper (if you would've asked me this when she was a newborn or even a month or so ago, I would've thought differently, but looking back and hearing stories from other moms makes me realize we don't have it so bad...you live and learn), and when she started sleeping 7p-7a straight at 13 weeks, we were stoked and very lucky.  When all of that started going out the window, I got frustrated and wondered if it was all just a fluke...would she ever do it again?  I was beginning to lose hope, but alas, rip van Lina is back... for the time being that is.  

Over the past week she hasn't had any night-time wake-ups and I'm loving it!!  Although, she still loves to wake-up and party around 5:30a, but I can live with that.  Most mornings, after 5:30a, I will pull out the binkie and more times than not, she will go back to sleep.  Hence why I am able to write this post.  She woke up at 5:30 this morning, I gave her the binkie around 6a and she is still sleeping.  Why she doesn't just stay asleep continuously in the morning is a mystery.  Oh babies!!  

This past month has taught me that we have a great night-time sleeper on our hands, but there will always be regressions and set-backs due to development leaps, teeth and illness, so we just have to ride the wave.  I'm also more confident in what the symptoms of teething are, so when she does start waking again during the night, I will have a better idea of what is causing it and I won't always think that the days of her being a good sleeper are doomed. 

AND, I mustn't forget that to successfully make it through the next wave, I have to practice that thing called patience. 

2 comments:

  1. That day seems soooo far away for us. We're on week 11 this week, and I can't wait for the day when she eats predictably, and sleeps predictably. Holly is a nut job. It's official.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly is no nut job!! She is an 11 week old baby and learning how to be part of this new world. I have a feeling you will be pleasantly surprised when one day a schedule just naturally emerges. I remember at 9 weeks I was having an anxiety attack because Lina didn't have a great schedule...and what were we going to do at daycare. But then, around 12 weeks it just happened!!

    ReplyDelete