Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Goals for 2011

2010 was the BEST year yet.  I'll often slip into reverie thinking about the year and I need to pinch myself to see if it was all real or just a dream. 2011 is sure to have it's own exciting moments that we will always remember.  On New Year's Day I was chatting with Evelina and telling her all about the fantastic accomplishments she would have this year, sitting up, crawling, walking, talking....she is really going to grow up this year and we are looking forward to witnessing each second.  

Now, a new year couldn't begin without setting some goals.  I am really not one to make New Year's resolutions but there are a few goals I would like to fulfill in this year.  Chris and I are constantly thinking of projects that we'd like to tackle around the house or things we would like to accomplish.  Since we all know how much I love to makes lists, I thought what better time to start another then with the arrival of 2011.  Here are a few things that have bubbled to the top of my "Goals for 2011" list, in no particular order (and I don't want to be too ambitious since I hate failing!!):     
  • Organize the pantry in the kitchen - I can't stand opening the pantry doors and seeing the disorganized mess that lives behind them.  We have so much food that we probably will never eat so I plan to sift through it all and make a donation to the Ashland Food Pantry.  I would also like to send a message to Similac to stop sending us free formula.  It seems like such a waste to send canisters of different formula types out in the same free test kit.  Even when Evelina is transitioned to formula, we would never give her a variety for reflux one week and then a different kind for gas another week.  Poor thing would be all screwed up. 
  • Wean from the pump  - I've struggled with this decision and although I'm not really looking forward to Evelina transitioning to all formula (even though I know it isn't the devil), I am really eager to have my freedom back.  Finding time to pump and having to cart it around with me is getting exhausting...especially at midnight and 5am. 
  • Paint, have a back splash installed in the kitchen, and find some fab curtains to hang around the slider - Our kitchen just seems so unfinished without a back splash.  Ever since we moved in Chris and I have been talking about having one installed (wish we could do it ourselves but we aren't that DIY), and I think this is the year to do it.  I would also love to paint the kitchen and our slider to the deck is screaming for window treatments. 
  • Convert the existing office into a playroom for Evelina - Evelina isn't on the move "yet" and we are planning to set up a temporary place space in our living room for her, but I would love to create a playroom that will help her learn and grow.  I had so much fun decorating her nursery so I can't wait to get started on her playroom. 
  • Hold a yard sale - We have SOOOO much in our basement that we just don't want to throw away OR keep so a yard sale is definitely a must. We may even recruit some of our neighbors to join in.  
  • Plan (and go on) a summer vacation - Throughout my childhood, we would always go on Summer vacations with my father and cousins to Hampton Beach (not the classiest place but in the 80s it was the bomb).  I would love to start a similar tradition now that Evelina has arrived.  We have been throwing around idea but need to plan something sooner rather than later. 
  • Have a date night with Chris AT LEAST once per month - Before I went back to work, Chris and I seemed to have more opportunities to get out, just the two of us.  Now that life is a little more hectic, it has been more of a challenge.  With the holiday's being over, I'm hoping we can have more date nights.  And I certainly know a Mimi who is also looking forward to these evenings!! 
  • Tone up for Kate and Jason's April 17th, 2011 wedding - I am extremely excited for Kate and Jason's Texas wedding and I have graciously accepted the invitation of becoming a bridesmaid, therefore I MUST use the exercise ball for something other than bouncing Lina.  Major toning is required before I slip on a strapless gown in April. 
  • Practice patience - I've made leaps and bounds in the patience department over the past couple of years, but with a new baby, there are new areas for which I must improve....night-time and early morning wake-ups for example.  Deep breath....
  • *Try* to worry less - I am constantly worrying about Evelina's development.  Even though I know she is on track and developing normally, it is always a struggle to not compare her to other babies who were born within the same month.  I am very well aware that there is a huge range in how quickly babies develop certain skills but a mom can always wish that their baby is one of the advanced...can't she? 
  • And most importantly, be the best Mommy I can be and have fun!! 

1 comment:

  1. Those seem realistic, and if you accomplish them all (try to worry less as a new mom may be a tough one, speaking from experience) you should give yourself a big pat on the back.. or throw in an extra date night as a reward. I can't wait to see the updated kitchen! At least that doesn't take as long as a bathroom.

    ReplyDelete