Pages

Friday, December 3, 2010

Operation Sayonara Soother :: Update

Since Monday night I have been putting Evelina to bed sans binkie in an attempt to help her learn how to self-sooth without its use.  I figured, while I was at it, I would start to wean her from the swaddle during night-time sleep as well (we've already attempted for naps for over a month) hoping she would suck her fingers in replacement of the binks.  

Monday night:  In bed at 7p, no pacifier, right arm out of the swaddle and Gigi (her giraffe lovie) tucked under her arm.  I stood by the crib while she cried, rubbing her belly and telling her that it was sleepy time and everything would be okay.  After about 5 minutes she stopped crying and was rubbing Gigi against her face and sucking her fingers.  By the time I turned the monitor on downstairs she was asleep.  She made a couple of squawks at around 12:30a but didn't wake up.  At 1:50a she awoke so I let her fuss for a few minutes before I entered her room.  I made sure she was okay, didn't have a dirty diaper, turned on her "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Violet", rubbed her belly, told her it was still sleepy time and left the room.  She was asleep by 2a. I "think" I heard some additional minor sleep squawks around 3:30a and 4:45a but nothing that woke her up.  She woke up for the day at 6a.  Now, she used to sleep until 7a but ever since the time change she isn't consistently sleeping past 6ish. We keep her in the crib as long as possible hoping she will fall back asleep. She will usually keep herself occupied for 15 minutes and once she starts to fuss I turn on her projection mobile which will fascinate her for another 15 or so minutes. Chris scooped her out of the crib around 6:50a. 

Tuesday:  No binkie used while in the car seat to and from daycare or during naps!!  Lina's teachers were very impressed and thought they would hear more protest then they actually did.  Lina was more interested in talking to Gigi then wondering where her binks was.  

Tuesday night:  In bed at 6:55p, no pacifier, right arm out of the swaddle and Gigi tucked under her arm.  Minimal crying, less then Monday night, but I did stay there rubbing her belly until I knew she would be fine.  She awoke at 10:15p which is a strange wake up time for her.  She seemed more in distress so Chris and I stayed with her for 10 or so minutes, I changed her diaper and she was out again by 10:30p.  Up at 5:30...ugh...we need some serious help in this department.  She was happy talking to Gigi, grabbing her feet and sucking on her fingers until about 6:20a, after which she started fussing, probably because she was still tired. On went the projection mobile at 6:30a, Chris scooped her out of the crib at 6:45a.  

Wednesday:  No binkie used.  Longest nap was 40 minutes...ugh. This child just LOVES to be awake.  Before we left daycare she started fussing in the car seat so I gave her the binks but she spit it out.  She was asleep by the time we got home.  

Wednesday night: In bed at 6:55p.  Again, minimal crying.  I think she cries more because she is overtired (which is understandable considering her naps aren't the best) not because I am putting her to bed.  I tried to get her to bed earlier but when her routine includes a bath (which we only give her every other night right now), it takes a tad longer.  4a rolled around and I happened to wake up so I click on the monitor and she was still sound asleep...although in a completely different position.  When we lay her in her crib her feet are facing the door, but at 4a her feet were facing the windows.  Clearly she had been up during the night but with no fussing and she fell back asleep on her own.  She was up again at 5:30 though...drats.  I went in after I finished pumping and to my surprise she had put on the projection mobile with her foot and was gazing at the lights.  Her diaper was soooooo full, so I change her in hopes of getting her to fall back asleep but didn't have much luck.  Chris scooped her out of the crib at 6:45a. 

Thursday:  No binkie used.  Longest nap was 65 minutes.
 

Thursday night: In bed at 7p, minimal crying.  I heard her thumping her legs at 12:30a but she fell back asleep on her own with no fussing.  She awoke at 4:45a...ugh,ugh,ugh...and I thought 5:30a was bad.  I just left her to her own devices and heard her fussing around 5:30a.  I got up (dreams of sleeping until a little after 6a shattered), changed her diaper, turned on "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Violet, told her it was still sleepy time and left the room.  She cried around 6:10a and just when I was going to give in and go up and get her at 6:15a, she fell asleep!!  Yay!!  Up at 6:55 for the day.  Beleive me, I was very tempted to give her the binks at 4:45a but I stayed strong.  

Chris calls me "the general" since I'm adamant on breaking Lina from her soother and swaddle habit, and I'm determine to get her to sleep past 6a (she slept 7p - 7a for WEEKS so I KNOW she can do it)!!  I just know how important sleep is for children and I'm the one who has done endless research on the subject so he needs to trust me.  Can you tell who is going to be the softy parent?  

Starting today, we are attempting to go swaddle free.  Lina is napping as I type in her cute elephant Aden + Anais sleep sack.  

No comments:

Post a Comment