Pages

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Playroom Inspiration

Slowly but surely we have begun the process of transitioning our existing office space into a playroom for Evelina.  I've been on the lookout for inspiration but I've struggled a bit when compared to what I had envisioned for her nursery.  I think my biggest dilemma is that the playroom will be one of the first rooms you see when you enter through the front door. I don't want it to scream playroom, with girlie pinks and pastels everywhere.  While I want it to be a fun, creative, and functional space for her, I would also like it to be somewhat cohesive with the other rooms on the first floor.

After trying out a handful of different yellows (I love the little samples!!), we have decided to go with Benjamin Moore Yellow Lotus for the wall color.  It is actually a bit brighter and more yellow then the swatch, not as much gold. The room will be painted in the next couple of weeks...YAY!!  Chris is getting a free pass and we are hiring someone this time around :-)  Other then color selection, we haven't done much else with the exception of starting to clean the room out and searching for ideas and furniture.  


Yellow Lotus


Yellow Lotus looks very much like this room. I like the red accents, too. 
Via


I love this room.  The rug is to die for and the pennant banner is perfection.  I definitely want to snag the pennant canopy for a reading corner.
Via


This playroom is also appealing to me.  I love the Expedit bookcase from Ikea. They are so functional and I've seen them in so many rooms (including in the picture above).  We will definitely set up an easel for Evelina and I love the idea of displaying her artwork from a cable.  So easy to switch out old art for new art, and it will be a fun decorative element. 
Via

I've seen lots of indoor play tee pees throughout my inspiration search and can't get enough of 'em.  Since the room we are working with isn't huge, I don't think a tee pee will be an option, but I may just have to order one for fun backyard adventures.  
Can't remember where this picture came from


Again, if space permits, I would love to have a little dress up corner for Evelina. Love this one. 
Via

Our goal is to at least get the room painted and cleaned up before Evelina's "big" first birthday party so the room isn't an eyesore.  I know it would have been ideal for it to be completed BEFORE, to allow little attendees to use it, but there just aren't enough hours in the day.  After her party, we will start putting it together.  I'm excited to get started and see the transformation.   

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see it Sarah! It has to be the most fun room in the house to plan. I wonder what Evelina will love the most. I die every time I see the fairy tent that the 2 kids in the movie "The Holiday" build with stars inside, and lots of sparkly material. The 5 year old in me starts to drool.
    http://hookedonhouses.net/2009/01/04/jude-laws-mill-house-in-the-holiday/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo Ang, I love that little hut they built in "The Holiday". We will need to recreate that for future Holly/Lina BFF sleepovers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun! We did one wall in a chalkboard paint for my daughter to practice her drawing on. It goes on like tar but it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was actually considering the chalkboard paint but then read something about it not being such a great idea for children to get used to writing on the wall :-) That changed my mind!!

    ReplyDelete