Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

NumNumNum....

Styleberry BLOG is one of my very favorite blogs. It was one of the blogs that really got me thinking about cloth diapering since the author of the blog, Shawna, made it looks soooo easy!!  From the day I found her posts on Fuzzibunz, I have been an avid reader of her blog.  

Yesterday, she wrote a great post on managing portions for baby, which you can find here. She also wrote a great post on making your own baby food which I found useful as well (click here).  I know my mommy friends out there are reading, many of whom will be starting their babes on solids soon, so I thought I would pass along.  

When Evelina's pediatrician gave us the go ahead to start her on solids at 6 months, I was overwhelmed.  We were in a great routine with her bottle feedings and modifying her schedule was something I was ambivalent about. Should she still get the same amount of breast milk or formula?  Should we omit a bottle feeding?  How long after she gets a bottle should we offer solids? When should we start finger foods?  Should we be practicing baby-led weaning instead of giving her purees? But, as most things have, her routine evolved nicely into including solids (thanks to advice from many friends, our pediatrician, daycare, etc.). I am struggling a little with offering her 3 meals a day since it feels like we are always feeding her, but I know this new routine will also evolve as it always does.  It's funny how her schedule has just organically evolved over the last 9 months without much trial and error.  Phew!!  

Although I have pretty good instincts when it comes to feeding Evelina, I am definitely going to print out the portion chart from the Styleberry blog post and reference it whenever I am unsure. I also agree with Shawna when it comes to rice cereal and juice.  We never offered Evelina rice cereal and went straight to whole grain oatmeal in addition to multi-grain cereal.  I also plan to forgo offering her juice until absolutely necessary...children just don't need that much sugar!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment