- Time, time, time – At the height of my pumping routine, I would pump 7 times per 24 hour period. Once my supply was established, I pumped 5 times a day; between 5-6am, 10ish in the morning, 2ish in the afternoon, 8ish in the evening and between 11-1am, each session being 10-20 minutes long. Would I have rather been doing something else with my time? Would I have rather been actually breastfeeding Evelina instead of pumping? Yes!! Pumping has become second nature to me and just part of my daily routine, fitting it in during Evelina’s nap time, scheduling it into my work calendar, always making sure to pump before going out for the day, etc. When I turn off the pump for that final time, I think it will be strange for me to have “free time”. I am looking forward to it.
- It’s just ugly – From the first day we brought Evelina home, the pump has been a fixture in our living room. It isn’t the most beautiful decorative element. It’s an eye-sore that we need to move each time we have visitors other than my mom and sister. It’s in a super convenient place so that I can pump and watch TV or use the laptop, and if necessary still keep an eye on Lina as she plays in the living room. But I am looking forward to throwing the dang thing in the trash and never seeing it again.
- Schlepping the breast pump everywhere – To my parent’s or other relative’s houses during holidays and family events and to work 4 days a week. I already have to travel with enough extras with the addition of an infant but also needing to bring the pump along is just an added hassle. And, it’s no fun having to excuse myself from family gatherings for 10-20 minutes or interrupt productivity at work to pump.
- Wearing a bra to bed – Since I was about 24ish weeks pregnant, I’ve been wearing a bra to bed at night, primarily because I’ve had to use breast pads. Granted, the sleep bras are pretty comfy, but when you consider that I’ve been wearing one during sleepy time for almost a year, it gets uncomfortable.
- Wearing breast pads – I was one of the unlucky ones that leaked colostrum early in pregnancy, at around 24 weeks. This caused me to start wearing breast pads each and every day and night. I’ve gone through every brand, including the washable organic variety and even though they all do the job, I am constantly changing and re-shifting them.
- Sweating - I never knew that lactation would cause sweaty cleave. Day and night. Wearing a bra to bed with breast pads and sweating is just not pleasent.
- Waking up earlier – Because I always need to pump in the morning, I have to get up earlier on work days and set my alarm on non-work days so that I can pump before Lina gets up. I just want to sleep "in"!!
- Washing pump parts – If you add up the time I’ve spent washing pump parts, it would total days. The last thing I want to do when I just want to spend time with Lina or just sit on my arse and relax with Chris, is stand at the sink washing pump parts for what feels like the 1000th time. I’m SOOO over it!!
- Washing breast milk storage bottles – see Washing pump parts.
Of course I will miss a few things:
- Breast milk is hassle free to serve. I would just fill up Lina's bottles in advance and keep them in the fridge ready for her next feeding (for up to 4 days). An hour prior to her feeding, we would take out a bottle to get room temperature. Since breast milk can stay out at room temperature for up to 8 hours, it was easy to travel with bottles and have them ready whenever we needed, in the car, at friend's house, mommy and me, etc. If Lina didn't finish the entire bottle, we would save the leftovers for another feeding. Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy. Formula just has so many rules...it can't be left unrefrigerated for more than one hour, prepared bottles must be used within 48 hours, you can't reuse any leftovers, don't shake it too much or it creates too many bubbles and can cause gas, make sure the water you use is safe, etc.
- Breast milk is the perfect first food for babies (well, unless your baby has an allergy of sorts). I will miss knowing that Evelina is getting the very best and that I was able to provide it to her exclusively for months. I never had to worry about harmful contaminates being in my breast milk or it getting recalled. I always knew it would be safe.
- Breast milk is free!! We had to purchase some formula in the first few weeks due to breast milk supply issues, but other than that, we didn't buy another can until after Lina turned 6 months and I started the weaning process. The money we've saved is most likely in the 1,000s of $$. Pretty crazy when you think about it. Since she can start to drink whole milk at 12 months, we will only have to purchase formula exclusively for about 4 months. That isn't so bad.
- I have been able to eat WHATEVER I've wanted since Evelina's birth, if not more...and I have still lost all of the pregnancy weight, if not more. I'll definitely need to start watching my intake once the breast feeding/pumping journey is officially over.
As of today, I'm pumping once every 48 hours so the end is very near!!



I hated washing breast pump parts too. I also hated getting up, no matter how dog-tired i was, to pump for those 15 minutes. They couldn't go by fast enough! I don't miss it.. but of course, I had no say in the matter. Formula is stinky and pricey as all hell, but I like my free time to spend with the baby and SLEEP!
ReplyDeleteI hated all the same things {especially washing pump parts, and leaving family gatherings etc to pump)- and I was pumping even more often than you, because I had such a low supply. Although I really really really miss breastfeeding Elliot and wish I could've kept giving him breastmilk, I do not miss actually pumping one bit.
ReplyDelete