Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The BEST Crib Sheet

When I first started to decorate Evelina's nursery, I knew I couldn't live without the Brooke crib sheet, it was part of my inspiration since the colors along with the cute owls and trees where perfect for my vision of the room.  For the first 6 months of Evelina's life, she was swaddled. She had imited blowouts/leaks during the night, but since she didn't really move around much and her hands weren't free to grab anything in fear of her smothering herself, we felt safe having a multi-use pad underneath her to protect the sheet from any messes (or spit-up mishaps).  Changing the crib sheet proved to be a difficult process and not easily done alone, especially with a bulky bumper impacting the mattress from being lifted out, so the pad saved us from having to deal with any mess in the middle of the night.  We could just swap out the pad and be back on our way to dreamland.    

Fast forward to a couple of months ago when Evelina started to prefer sleeping on her tummy.  Come to find out disposable diapers are designed with more protection in the back and middle, not the front. Even in a night-time disposable (I still haven't found a cloth option I'm in love with for night-time), the front of the diaper just doesn't have enough absorption for Evelina to accommodate 11-12 hours of slumber.  This results in Evelina's PJs being wet in the morning and many times, her sheet getting soiled as well.  It doesn't help that she likes to "unload" a big one as soon as she wakes up either.  Because of the increased frequency of leaks, changing her crib sheet was starting to become quite a hassle.  

After receiving a recommendation from my friend JoEllen (mom of the cutest Ruby), I decided to try the Clouds and Stars Quickzip Sheet. This has seriously got to be one of the BEST inventions...ever.  It has a fitted section that goes around the mattress and a separate sheet that attaches to the fitted section via a zipper.  If the sheet gets soiled, just unzip it and attach a clean one.  No lifting of the mattress required.  It takes about a minute, if that, to replace the sheet.   I LOVE IT!! Now, I wouldn't have traded it for the whimsical sheet we used originally and that we'll most likely use when Evelina transitions to a toddler bed, but for this stage, it is PERFECT.   
As much as I love the Quickzip sheet, ideally, I would like to avoid tummy leaks all together.  A couple of methods I plan to try are:  
  • Putting the diaper on backwards so the more absorbent back is in the front - I wouldn't be surprised if Evelina decided to sleep on her back or side that night!! 
  • Putting on two diapers - This just seems like a waste
  • Using a Flip or Grovia diaper cover over her disposable - I may try this method tonight.  
  • Use a fitted cloth diaper with a wool cover - I've heard this is bulletproof thanks to the wool, I just need to pull the trigger and find the perfect combination for the right price. 
Oh, in case you were wondering, safety first in the Ciano household.  Once Evelina was no longer swaddled and became quite the mover in her crib, we switched out her beloved Brooke crib bumper and replaced it with a breathable bumper. A great invention (since traditional bumpers aren't recommended anyway) that keeps the crib cozy while protecting arms and legs from going through the rails.  It certainly makes me feel better knowing that if she happens to stuff her face into the bumper, she will still be able to breathe.  Although, one of her favorite activities during the night is to untie the bows that hold it in place, but I like knowing she enjoys exploring.  Too cute. 

1 comment:

  1. Try the Ultimate crib sheet! Snaps to the crib on top of the fitted sheet. Cotton top and rubber underneath!

    ReplyDelete