Yeah, remember this post? Well, I take the part back about the Nuk Pacifier being one of my favorite things. Why you ask? Because this very "favorite thing" has been the bane of our existence ever since I wrote that blog post!!
For months we have not had issues putting Evelina to bed with the pacifier. She would eventually spit it out but would continue to sleep peacefully even through the light portion of her sleep cycle, which meant we would sleep peacefully as well. But a couple of weeks ago, something changed and she is now dependent on the dang thing which requires us to head into the nursery multiple times per night to replace her plug, after which she will go back to sleep immediately (most of the time...except usually around 3:30am when she likes to stay up for 15 or so minutes gazing around, perhaps spitting the pacifier out just to get us to go in again for her to smile at us...she knows very well what she is doing!!).
I've mentioned to Chris that we need to stop giving her the binks at night since I think it's what's causing her night-waking, but I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Now, it would have made the most sense to have done this while I was off from work for 5 days since I suspect there will be some crying involved, but the caring mother who doesn't like listening to her dear daughter cry multiple times a night just keeps going in and giving her what she wants. Bad move, BIG.HUGE.
So, tonight I am going to attempt to put Evelina to bed sans binkie and we shall see what happens. I'm not against her having it while in the car or if she needs it during the day to curb a case of the fussies but by hook or by crook I will wean the child from the need to use the binkie during naps and night-time sleep!! She is beyond the newborn sucking phase so there is no reason that she can't learn to sooth herself to sleep without the aid of a prop (mind you we still swaddle but that is another issue). I'll let you know how it goes. Wish us luck!!
For months we have not had issues putting Evelina to bed with the pacifier. She would eventually spit it out but would continue to sleep peacefully even through the light portion of her sleep cycle, which meant we would sleep peacefully as well. But a couple of weeks ago, something changed and she is now dependent on the dang thing which requires us to head into the nursery multiple times per night to replace her plug, after which she will go back to sleep immediately (most of the time...except usually around 3:30am when she likes to stay up for 15 or so minutes gazing around, perhaps spitting the pacifier out just to get us to go in again for her to smile at us...she knows very well what she is doing!!).
I've mentioned to Chris that we need to stop giving her the binks at night since I think it's what's causing her night-waking, but I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Now, it would have made the most sense to have done this while I was off from work for 5 days since I suspect there will be some crying involved, but the caring mother who doesn't like listening to her dear daughter cry multiple times a night just keeps going in and giving her what she wants. Bad move, BIG.HUGE.
So, tonight I am going to attempt to put Evelina to bed sans binkie and we shall see what happens. I'm not against her having it while in the car or if she needs it during the day to curb a case of the fussies but by hook or by crook I will wean the child from the need to use the binkie during naps and night-time sleep!! She is beyond the newborn sucking phase so there is no reason that she can't learn to sooth herself to sleep without the aid of a prop (mind you we still swaddle but that is another issue). I'll let you know how it goes. Wish us luck!!




Oh, my! Good luck!
ReplyDelete