Pages

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Buon Natale

Click here for more photos
This year, similar to the past 6 or so, Chris and I kicked of the Christmas festivities at his aunt’s/uncle’s in Medford for the traditional Italian Feast of the 7 Fishes. At last count, we think there were only 6 but really does it matter? When it comes down to it, I just enjoy knowing that Chris and his family have been celebrating the tradition for as long as he can remember. Although Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, it helps to bring families together and set forth the traditions that have been established throughout the centuries. You can’t beat listening to Uncle Tony’s stories and watching others munch on traditional fish dishes such as fried smelts and bacala as well as the original recipe for Ciano calamari pizza that was one of Chris’s dad’s specialties. I stay away from all and stick to clam chowder, Auntie Ro’s spinach balls and Ann Marie’s stuffed mushrooms. A part of me thinks that they weren’t part of the original Feast of the 7 Fishes but that’s okay by me. The last I checked, I was French and Greek so I can get away with it.

The pilgrimage continued to Concord, NH with our gifts and yummy chocolate and pear Panettone in tow. The Fisher/Henderson tradition began with a delectable breakfast before opening our gifts and watching the dogs fight over who gets the bigger candy cane raw hide knowing very well that Lilly will conquer all. The day was topped off with a fantastic Christmas dinner of prime rib and it wouldn’t have been the same if my dad wasn’t in attendance. Lots of laughs and wine later we headed to Manchvegas (responsibly) to visit aunts and uncles and drop dad off to play in the holiday poker game. They ask Chris to play every year and thankfully he says no or else I think we would go broke.

After a day of fun, family, great food and wine we retire into a slumber and still had visions of sugar plums dancing in our heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment